On July 23, 2007, Crown Castle International announced that it
had leased the nationwide spectrum previously intended for its
proposed Modeo mobile TV network. The spectrum has been leased
to a venture formed by Telcom Ventures, LLC and Columbia Capital,
LLC. This announcement marks the end of the line for the proposed
For more information on DVB-H in the USA see Hiwire.
Crown Castle International announced on January 8th that its
subsidiary, Modeo, had launched a live commercial quality "beta"
mobile TV service in New York City. The service is available only
to selected users equipped with a Modeo Mobile TV Smartphone,
supplied by HTC of Hong Kong.
During April a limited set of initial research results from 138
users were released. The main points were as follows:
- 99% of users were satisfied or very satisfied (64%) with the
- 87% of users were satisfied or very satisfied (37%) with service
- 98% of users like or very much like (75%) having live TV and
radio available on their cellphone
- Average viewing sessions lasted 30-35 minutes with most viewing
on weekdays; however the average number of minutes viewed per
day averaged around 15 minutes.
- 52% of users said they watched more TV overall as a result of
having the service available to them.
For more information see Pittsburgh